Thursday, November 09, 2006

Darabont gets all Mist-y...

Director Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile) is in pre-production on what will be his third Stephen King adaptation, and his first horror one. He’s been talking about basing a film on the novella The Mist for a while, but seems to really have gotten things into gear, indicating that filming could start as early as February.

In an interview with Chud.com, the director was quoted as following:

“[The Mist] is going to be a really quick project; it’s very low budget, very fast, not unlike what Danny Boyle did in 28 Days Later, which I found very inspiring in terms of, hell, just go out and make a movie and have fun with it…It’ll be a pretty fast and furious narrative, really. And I’m certain the shortest film I’ve made to date."

King’s short novel is one of his most overt homages to the ‘B’ monster movies of the ‘50s and ‘60s, and it completely makes sense for this to be a comparatively low-budget, short and punchy film. Of course, all of Darabont’s theatrical films have, in fact, been pretty lengthy. Hopefully when he says the film will be his shortest, he’s talking around 100 minutes, and not something around two hours long. I've been a pretty consistent proponent of the idea that modern's overstuffed genre movies would be well served by being shorter, and maybe this will start a trend.

9 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Few things go together better than King and Darabont, so this can only be great .. I read somewhere the other day that Lucas wrote a script for Indy 4 that was approved by Spielberg, but then rejected by Lucas .. George has become such a hack!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Zack Handlen said...

I agree completely about the length issue- I can imagine few things that would let me down more than finding the final cut of The Mist ran 100 min. (Hell, I'd be happy if they stuck around 90.)

My only other reservation is that Darabont has yet to do much in the way of action/horror stuff. Although I hear the Bruce Campbell movie-in-a-movie in The Majestic was good, so that's hopeful.

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous the rev. d.d. said...

I've been wondering since high school why no one tried to turn that story into a movie. It's got few locations (a house, a supermarket and its surrounding environs, and a stretch of road), plenty of critters, and even some good characterization. I think it's one of his better short stories.
I imagine that, now, most of the critters will be CGI. I'd much rather see some live-action props for the critters for the most part. Although I can think of two that'll probably work better as CGI (I won't say what for those that haven't read the story, but for those that have--one's in the sporting goods store next to the supermarket, and the other one shows up at the very end.)

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous JazzyJ said...

I will agree that it seems strange that no one has adapted this story yet (when it seems like even King's laundry list makes it to theaters). I can only guess that the sheer number of creature effects needed is what scared some...

My curiosity is with a scene that King got a LOT of nasty mail about when he released the story -- the marital infidelity of a character. Times have changed since that release, and I believe not such a big stir would be made today (more's the shame), but I am still curious to see if Darabont shies away or tackles it...

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous the rev. d.d. said...

Maybe the critter factor was it. I can't see any other reason why.

I'm betting that scene will be included, but sadly it'll be for the excuse of a sex scene, rather than any character development notions.
I didn't know he got hate mail for that, though. Interesting.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous JazzyJ said...

The hate mail was from people who accused him of "opposing and/or attacking the sanctity of holy matrimony".

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous the rev. d.d. said...

..............

Wow, that's....utterly stupid.

It's not like it was done to spite the character's spouse, or done with purposeful malicious intent; they're trapped, they might die...people don't think rationally at times like that. I thought it was simply two people trying to find some sort of comforting bond, to forget about the horrors around them for a time. I'm not condoning it, but saying it's an attack on marriage is ridiculous.

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous JazzyJ said...

No argument from ME...

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Dan Coyle said...

King said he got an angry bit of mail about the scene at the onset of The Dead Zone where Stillson kicks a dog to death for nearly biting him, even though he's the villain and he's supposed to be portrayed as violent and crazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home